Jakarta, May 25, 2005[Bahasa
Japan to help children suffering malnutrition in East and West Nusa Tenggara
(Emergency Grant Aid for the Republic of Indonesia)
1. On Friday, July 15th, the Government of Japan decided to provide the Emergency Grant Aid of approximately US$ 1.56 million (approximately 167million JPY) to the Republic of Indonesia though UN World Food Programme (WFP), considering the serious situation of malnutrition caused by drought.
2. The Province of Nusa Tenggara Timor (NTT) and the Province of Nusa Tenggara Barat (NTB) in the eastern Indonesia have been suffering from severe drought this year.
As a result, the harvest of crops has decreased in many areas of both provinces and many people can not obtain enough food for daily life.
3. Consequently, the situation has become very serious in both provinces and some 180 thousand children are suffering from malnutrition and many have died.
To provide skim milk for those children under 5 years old who are suffering from severe malnutrition, WFP has requested the Government of Japan to assist its plan.
4. Taking into account the needs of humanitarian assistance and friendship between Japan and Indonesia, the Government of Japan has decided to provide the Emergency Grant Aid.
5. The Government of Japan expects this implementation of our assistance will improve this harsh situation and save as many lives of children as possible in these provinces.