Informasi, Kebudayaan &
Informasi Beasiswa & Pendidikan
Pusat Informasi, Pendidikan dan
Jakarta, February 2nd, 2005[Bahasa
Japanese Assistance to Indonesia on Aftermath of Earthquake and
(Mobile Clinic Assistance in the Tsunami Affected Area and Radio Station Support for Reuniting Families)
1. The Government of Japan has decided to extend an a grassroots grant aid a total of US$ 362,497 for the mobile clinic project and the radio station support for the disaster affected people in Aceh.
2. Assistance for mobile clinic in Aceh (equivalent to US$343,439)
(1) In Aceh, many medical facilities have been severely damaged or destroyed by the massive earthquake and tsunami, and deterioration of the medical services has been serious problem for people in Aceh. In major cities, such as Banda Aceh and Meulaboh, medical services is being recovered gradually, however, in remote areas and in the outskirts of major cities, access to the appropriate medical services is still limited.
(2) Under these circumstances, the Muhammadiyah Youth has proposed a mobile clinic project, to provide medical services to the local residents in Banda Aceh City and 7 districts, namely Aceh Besar, Aceh Jaya, West Aceh, Nagan Raya, Pidie, Bireuen and North Aceh to the Government of Japan.
(3) Through this assistance, the Government of Japan expects to recover the medical services for the tsunami affected people in Aceh, as well as to accelerate the recovery and revitalization of people’s lives in Aceh.
3. Support for Radio Station in Aceh (equivalent to US$ 19,058)
(1) Many victims of massive earthquake and tsunami, especially children in Aceh have been separated from their family and have difficulties in finding the safety and location of their family. The Suara Aceh, the first radio station, which began radio broadcasting after the calamity in Aceh, has distributed radio receivers to IDP camps and has been providing information on the reunion of the separated family members as well as on humanitarian assistance schedule.
(2) National Private Radio Broadcasting Association of Indonesia (Persatuan Radio Siaran Swasta Nasional Indonesia (PRSSNI)), a management of the Suara Aceh, has requested to the Government of Japan for its assistance in order to strengthen the capacity of the radio station and expand the coverage area of the radio broadcast.
(3) Through this assistance, the Government of Japan expects to provide useful information for the reunion of the separated and unaccompanied children with their family members and on information of humanitarian assistance schedule and furtherly to acceralate the recovery and revitalization of people’s lives in Aceh.
Japanese Assistance to Indonesia on Aftermath of Earthquake and Tsunami
Emergency Assistance in kind (US$ 390,000
worth of tents, blankets, generators etc)
Bilateral Grant Assistance
(1) US$ 1.5
million: for procurement of emergency food and medical equipment.
note verbal is exchanged on December 27th, 2004.
(2) US$ 146
million for emergency relief goods and reconstruction in
Pledged on January 6th, 2005 by the Prime Minister, Junichiro
Koizumi on the occasion of Tsunami Summit Meeting.
Signed on January
Assistance through International
Organization (US$ 250 million)
This also contributes to humanitarian
assistance in Aceh.
Dispatch of Medical Team organized by JICA
(operated from January 2nd to 22nd)
Dispatch of Japanese Self Defense
Japan is mobilizing the capabilities of Japan Self Defense
Force (JSDF) to support relief operations in the field of airlift (since
January 10th) and medical/epidemics prevention in Indonesia (since